You can never go wrong with homemade waffles. And if we are talking about vegan waffles, we are even more on board. Especially if they are added our oat drink that gives the waffles a nice taste and sweetness. Even better if topped with fresh berries and syrup. It has to be the perfect dessert or luxurious breakfast.
Vegan waffles recipe
Making vegan waffles is actually really easy. It does not take many ingredients and they can be made in less than 15 minutes. That is something we like. Especially when the sweet tooth sets in, it is nice to have a recipe like this in hand to make waffles in no time. These are made with oat drink and are crispy and fluffy.
We have kept them neutral in taste but if you are a fan of cardamom or lemon zest in the dough, blueberries as filling or something completely different – go crazy. The most important thing is patience as the waffles need time to set in the waffle iron before you open the lid.
No egg waffles
If you thought that you could not make waffles without eggs, you are mistaken. That is no problem. The eggs often make sure your dough rises and sticks together. But in this recipe the baking powder will make sure they puff up. We have stirred the oat drink with a little apple cider vinegar. That might sound funny but it needs to act and taste a bit like buttermilk which is often used in waffles.
Crispy sweet waffles
These really are some crispy sweet waffles. And we love to top them off with berries and syrup, but it could also be (vegan) whipped cream or ice cream, powdered sugar, melted chocolate and much more. You could even omit the sugar and eat them for breakfast. Not bad. Og hey – do you want to see how easy these vegan waffles are to make? Check out our Instagram reels.
- Waffle iron
- 3 dl oat drink pea drink can also be used
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 225 g white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 60 g butter can be vegan (plus a bit extra for the waffle iron)
- Mix the oat drink and apple cider vinegar.
- Melt the butter in a small pot. I melted a bit extra to use for brushing the waffle iron between each waffle.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar, melted butter and the oat drink and vinegar mixture. Mix it gently but thorough with a spatula. Small lumps are okay.
- Warm your waffle iron – we used a belgian one.
- Brusk your iron with a bit of melted butter and add the dough. About 2 tbsp per waffle.
- Let it bake a while to make sure it is set before opening the lid. Continue with the rest of the dough and make sure to brush the iron with butter between each waffle.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.