Vegan mac and cheese
How about a portion of homey comfort food and greasy bowl of vegan mac and cheese? That is exactly what you get here. We have made the bechamel sauce vegan by using our Pea Drink Barista. You can choose if you would like the cheese to be vegan as well or not. We promise that everyone will love it. Because who doesn’t like pasta and cheese? We do for sure!
Vegan mac and cheese recipe
If you have never made mac and cheese before it consists of pasta mixed with a cheesy bechamel sauce and topped with more cheese. It is a creamy pasta that is baked in the oven with a crispy layer on the top. The bechamel is normally made with milk but we have used our Pea Barista that makes it vegan and lactose free. As said, you can choose vegan cheese or not. If you choose vegan, we recommend you to add a bit of nutritional yeast as well for a more cheesy flavor. We have also added spinach and onion to incorporate vegetables and recommend you to serve it with a fresh salad on the side.
Remember that you can find more inspiration for recipes with plant drinks on our website.
Spinach mac and cheese
This vegan mac and cheese is so delicious. We have added fresh spinach for flavor, juiciness and looks. But if you want to add even more vegetables, you can cook some small pieces of cauliflower or broccoli with the pasta and add that. It could also be something fresh as tomatoes or creamy like pumpkin.
Do you want to see how we make this? Visit our Instagram reels.
Vegan mac and cheese
- 250 g pasta
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 250 g fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter vegan
- 2 tbsp white flour
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 dl Dryk Pea Barista
- 1 handful fresh herbs like tarragon or parsley
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 175 g grated cheese can be vegan
- 1 dl panco bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to directions on the package – they have to be al dente. Drain the water.
- Chop onion and garlic and fry in olive oil on a pan on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add spinach and let it wilt.
- Mix the vegetable stock cube with a dl of boiling water.
- Melt butter in a pot and whip in the flour. Let it fry for a few minutes to remove the taste of flour.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the stock water while whisking until it thickens.
- Put the pot back on the heat and add the pea drink a little at a time. Makes sure it boils for a minut or two – keep whisking. It needs to be a creamy and slightly thick sauce.
- Add a handfull of the grated cheese. Taste with fresh herbs, pepper, salt, a bit on finely grated nutmeg and mustard.
- Add the pasta and spinach mixture to an oven proof dish. Pour over the sauce and top with the rest of the cheese and panco.
- Bake your mac and cheese at 215 degrees celcius of about 15 minutes until crisp and golden on top.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!